Having just rounded off a 51.25mile running week with a half marathon Personal Best at Cookstown, County Tyrone, I have come to the conclusion that I still do not know what works best for me on the lead up to a race: rest or running??
On the week of the Belfast Marathon I completed two light runs and was well rested after a very good training programme in the weeks prior. I achieved a marathon PB by a staggering 18 minutes. This week I have run over 50 miles, run for 11 days on the trot (14 days in the past 15) – over 90miles in the last fortnight. I achieved a personal best in my half marathon this afternoon by a solid two minutes!!
So what works ? Rest or running? I simply dont know.
The last two weeks have included a ten mile and a 10k race, as well as a few tough interval sessions. I think one reason I have been able to pound the roads and still race well recently is my purchase of a foam roller to roll out the leg muscles. A fellow runner recommended it and I have used it everyday. Apart from this does anyone have any ideas about rest vs running?
- Recovery between races? (runjunky.wordpress.com)
- Half Marathon strategy – 10 points…well almost! (runjunky.wordpress.com)
- Necessity and benefits of interval sessions (runjunky.wordpress.com)
- Week 7: Half-marathon update (fitgirlhappygirl.com)
- I Don’t Think I’m Ready (goobernutslife.wordpress.com)
- Race Recap: Rock’N’Roll Chicago Half Marathon (bakerunlive.com)
- Training For A Half Marathon [One Month Challenge] (collegecandy.com)
- Not This Again! (kjdiny60.wordpress.com)
- Half Marathon Training (angryjuliemonday.com)
- Half Marathon Round Two! Back for Revenge (wildthingsrunfree.com)
- No direction… (runjunky.wordpress.com)
- The Day Before The Half Marathon (beautifullynutty.com)
- Half Marathon Training (changingmydestiny.wordpress.com)